Header Ads

Are You Ready For Prima

Prima New CD comes out February 27, 2019

Interview conducted on February 16, 2019

by Dan Locke
Somewhere in the heart of Manchester, on the top floor of an old factory mill; you can hear the rumbling of distorted 808 bass, the sound of skippy hi hats, lush synth layers and snapping snare drums which clatter like machine gun fire in battle! Then suddenly, without warning, you're stopped firmly in your tracks as the soul-steeped voice of Mancunian recording artist "Prima" pierces through the speakers and you realise what we have here is someone truly remarkable!

Prima is a singer/songwriter from Manchester UK, who's classically trained background has her steeped in musical heritage from an early age. Her powerful and soulful vocals sore on top of trap/soul bangers effortlessly, creating a unique and spectacular blend of light and dark.




Prima

Unrated Dan: You were born in Manchester UK.  What was that like?


 Prima: I love Manchester. It’s so colorful and vibrant full of culture, talent and beautiful people. 

What was the music scene like? 

There is something brewing up here in Manchester. The urban music scene is full of soulful artists making real honest music and people are starting to realize what’s going on up here! 

Did you have the chance to see any big Manchester bands playing in small clubs? 

That when I was younger I went see artists at the M.E.N arena, the Apollo and the academy more than the smaller clubs. Seeing Alicia Keys was amazing at the arena! I’ve recently seen Children of Zeus a Manchester soul band who are coming up right now and you should seriously check them out.

What club do you like to check out live music and why? 

Band on the Wall in the Northern Quarter is great for seeing live music and supporting local talent. 

You were classically trained.  What was your music training like?

I was classically trained in piano and singing, studying and taking exams in ABRSM. I loved the more romantic period like Debussy, the more emotional music gets me! I was brought up singing Italian arias and that training is quite intense focusing on vocal agility. Pretty similar to RnB in terms of the riffs and as soon as started singing songs by Alicia Keys, India Arie and Erykah Badu I knew I’d fallen in love with singing those soulful songs. I found my lame and the classically training gave me the foundation.

How do you define your music? 

I’d say my music is emotive and honest. The sound is defined by JSD’s ability to bring that deep gritty bass and trippy beats and my melodic high tones and bring a sweetness. Together it’s a recipe for a modern classic rnb banger!!! 

Name four videos which describe your musical style? 

H.E.R - Every Kind of Way

DVSN - In the Morning

Majid Jordan - Her 
Nao - Another Lifetime 

What song do most of you fans know best? 

My fans love “Tough Love” always wanting to hear me singing that one at gigs! 

Tell me about some of the people you have worked with? 

I work with JSD from Virus Syndicate who is my producer. Recently released ‘Edge’ produced by Shapes which went on Holy Goofs album ‘Globes’ which reached number 1 in the iTunes dance charts after a couple of hours. I’ve worked with Champion featuring on the track ‘Lights out’ which got radio 1 play. I had the pleasure of supporting Daley at Gorilla in Manchester, such a humble and incredible artist. Recently had a session with DRS in the studio with me and JSD and that song are now on my next EP ‘The Butterfly Effect, Vol.3 - Butterfly’ out on 27th Feb 2019!!! 

You played the Sonder Fest.  Is that like SXSW?  

Sonder fest is a more local festival celebrating in Manchester talent and is growing every year. 

How did the launch of your EP turn out? 

The Ep launch was amazing!!! Such a good turnout and incredible support from fans. I’ve got another EP launch for the final installment of ‘The Butterfly Effect’ on 15th March and it will be showcasing all the artist off  Medication! 

How did you get the BBC to support you? 

I uploaded my tracks to Manchester BBC introducing and from there they sent them over to 1xtra, they’ve been super supportive from the beginning and I love the girls over there! Big love the Michelle and Natalie! 

Any plans to play on this side of the ocean? 

It’s a dream of mine to tour America for sure! I think my music would be received really well over so I’m hoping to get out as soon as I can! 

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

At the Grammys as an established artist with global recognition. 

Who would you like to open up for?  And who would you like to open up for you, if you were headlining? 

I would love to open up for DVSN. Their music speaks to my soul!!! If I was headlining I’d love Brent Faiyaz to open up for me. His writing is just beautiful and I think it would be a perfect match :) 


What were the Loft Sessions? 



I’ve started doing live acoustic versions of my favorite covers and my own tracks in my loft. I have my own studio set up and it’s the place where I get to chill and write amazing music. I will be having guests performing with me this year too so watch out for that! 

Tell me about the making of your music video Fire Prod. JSD.


The idea behind the Fire video was to represent the birth of the flame and watch it grow. It symbolizes my music and how it’s evolving and growing on this journey. I got together with videographer ApeNinja, stylist Sarah Angel and MUA Robin Booth and my idea of rebirth were born. It’s the most creative visual I’ve done so far and yet the simplest. One scene, one outfit, one idea, and a great team to bring it to life. I absolutely love the track that JSD produced for this song and I think ApeNinja really enhanced the music with this visual. 

What do you do before a show to relax and get ready for the show?

I like a nice quiet zone before I go on stage. I picture myself doing the gig and it going well, have a little mediate and a honey hot water! Rock n roll lol 

Who is in your live band during a performance?

I usually go out with my DJ (usually my producer a JSD) and my keyboards. I love to mix up my performance with tracks and acoustic piano. It’s great to play the real bangers with the tracks and then I get to bring the vibe right down with my keys for those intimate moments. 

Anything in closing you like to tell your fans?

I want to build a core fan base, tour regularly and share my music live and direct with the audience..... that’s where I feel most connected to my listeners. I’m building a solid foundation for Prima. I love my fans they are literally the reason I do this.... the messages I get from them telling me how my music has had an impact on their life keeps me inspired and I want that to grow. I want the world to hear my message and my music. That’s the most important bit and we’re already on our way to doing that. Then next stop who knows..... the Grammys? The Brit awards? I’m coming for it all. I’m a big dreamer and I’m focused on taking this to a place where most people would deem impossible. Even impossible says “I’m - Possible


Continue Reading More @UnRatedMagazine

No comments