Header Ads

Holliston: The Complete First Season (2012)

Studio: ImageHolliston Cover

Blu Ray Release: October 9, 2012

Director: Adam Green

Not Rated

Review by James Klein

Having a severe cold sucks. Having a severe cold on your birthday, thus canceling plans with everyone really sucks. Having to watch an entire season of a TV show that is not very good while having a severe cold around your birthday...well...lets just say I'm not having a good 2013 so far.

Fear.net's comedy/horror spoof TV show may appeal to some certain people. I get that this is a spoof on sitcom's and that the two main leads are actually horror film directors. I get it, but its still not funny. Holliston still makes all the same (and lame) jokes as most modern sitcoms so why would I enjoy watching this?

The TV show focuses on two loser film makers who work on a public access TV show to try and make ends meet. The two leads are played by film makers Adam Green (known for the overrated Hatchet films and the criminally underrated and suspenseful Frozen) and Joe Lynch (Wrong Turn 2). While the two leads do have some charm and can be funny at times, they do what they think is funny by overacting, like most sitcom stars. Again, I get the joke but it's still annoying as hell. While Joe has a cute and rather ditzy girlfriend, Adam can't seem to get over his ex girlfriend which makes up for most plot points in the TV show. Once more folks, I get the joke, its making fun of shows like Friends or How I Met Your Mother but its not amusing or humorous.

The show does have a few bright spots, namely Dee Snider playing an aging rock star whose also Adam and Joe's closet homosexual boss. Dee, dressed in his Twisted Sister gear, is a funny guy and its pretty ballsy to see him take on this role. I also like Adam's imaginary friend Oderus Urungus. For those who may not know, Oderus is the lead singer for the monster metal group GWAR and is known mostly for his insensitive lyrics while throwing fake buckets of blood, shit, and semen out in the audience during his concerts (yours truly was at one of their shows back in the mid 1990's and remains one of my favorite concerts). However, Oderus is barely in the show and due to it being on TV, his antics and language have been toned way down.

Maybe I am the wrong person to review this show because I hate sitcoms. I can't stand the canned laughter and Holliston uses it to no end. Last time, I get the joke but I still fucking hate the canned laughter. But fans of this show will enjoy having not only the entire season on blu ray but also bloopers, commentaries, and behind the scenes footage. It's sad when the bloopers are funnier than entire episodes.

[Rating: 1.5]

No comments