Header Ads

Frenetic Flow - Charles X's EID2 Out March 1st

 Charles X: Someone you should know

Interview conducted Feb. 26, 2019

by Daniel Locke


Charles X is a 26 year old Los Angeles native who has just broken into the international spotlight by completing 3 albums in 3 years, Revolution and the Day After (2015), Sounds of the Yesteryear (2016) and Peace  (2017).

Known for his showman skills and soulful style, X has furthered his International buzz with his 4th European/Indian Ocean tour (New Morning in Paris(soldout), Palaxa in La Reunion, Rocher de Palmer in Bordeaux, Homecoming Events in Johannesburg, Mauritius, O2 Forum in London..etc) and is now ready to make his footprint in the world by captivating his crowd and always leaving them wanting more.

Influenced by Motown, Prince and The Roots, Charles X’s music blends pop, hip hop, jazz, soul, and rock, cleverly appropriating genres with continuous creativity. Crooner and songwriter, Charles X alternates sharp phrasing and luminous melodic arrangements, creating a music that is concise and effective.




Unrated Dan: How did you discover your musical being?

Charles X: When i was really young and played basketball, I realized I didn't want the ball the last 3 seconds of the game. When I was doing drama, I didn't like the politics you had to go through for the lead role(and I always wanted the lead). Then one day I got the mic, got some cheers and realized I never wanted to give it up again.. so I knew that's what I had to do.

Do you play any instruments ( I saw your video with the 6 note (Too Pretty of a Girl) guitar playing)?

I play almost all the instruments really terribly. I love piano and guitar the most but I'm only a beginner. I have never really had the push to become a master. I only know enough to compliment my voice.

How did you pick your name? Was Charles X Gustav of Sweden or King Charles X of France an influence?

Neither one of those has ever been my influence. It was purely coincidental. My name just came about with a little help from Malcolm and later on when I went to France i learned about their Charles the tenth. Some years ago I realized I wanted to build a school for gifted children also and then it dawned on me how mine and the leader of the X-Men's name were the same. So really, my name has evolved just as much as I have.

How did you come up with the video idea for Over and Over ft Bianca?

I love that you searched for my least popular videos. I was looking through some B-roll of old footage and it fit really well with the song. A tale about a dangerous kind of love that is the borderline obsession. I figured what was better than the Dracula story to represent this song visually, his love being the most obsessive and toxic of them all.

How did you brake(break) into the international spotlight completing 3 albums in 3 years, Revolution and the Day After (2015), Sounds of the Yesteryear (2016) and Peace (2017)?

Besides the grace of the Most High?  A lot of Mary J and smiles. I've also met so many great people out there that believe in helping the world also through art and they always helped me along the way. Europe also allowed my music to grow freely. So not having to sound a certain way definitely helped.

What has been the biggest concert you have played so far?

In the 10k/20k range. Not sure the exact number. I did a show with the Cranberries at Cognac Blues Festival and a show with Stromae at Sakifo festival! It was as far back as the eye could see *Mufasa voice

What is it like to tour in France?


They definitely know how to treat an artist. It was great to break out of the whole pay for play thing you get in LA. Not only did get paid, but you get someone who picks you up at the airport, a lodge, fed and a hotel... Pretty much everything you deserve as an artist. Let us just say I got a little spoiled, and will no longer do pay for play. The best part is every show I have ever done was either sold out or close to it.

Have you had the chance to perform with any of your influences?

Yes, Arrested Development, Pharcyde, Cody Chesnut, Method Man and Redman and De La Sol. I am on the same booking as Yasiin Bey(Mos Def) so hopefully, I can play with him soon.

Why did you pick "Prozac" to be the first single off of your upcoming record EID2?

It was a nice street song and a way to show people this album will not be the same as the ones before. My sound has evolved and so have I. Its a perfect intro song.

Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

I see myself with a lot more freedom and room to maneuver through my artistic headspace, conceptualize a project, produce it and have it in the ears of the listeners within a shorter period of time. I write a lot of music which means, because of the steps we must take with the business, there are songs you won't hear for another 2 years that are already finished today. Soi hopes my music can become more of a feed and that the business will release as fast as I produce.

Anything in closing you'd like to say?

Love, Peace, and understanding of the world! All power to the Highest Jah and His Son who came and showed the Way. I pray you to bring healing to the world, with or without me.


Continue Reading More @UnRatedMagazine

No comments