Header Ads

Interview with Rodney McGlothlin of Voice of Dissent

Interview conducted in June 2012
by Melanie "Sass" Falina


Sometimes it seems the wait between new metal releases worth sinking some teeth into is long and barren. But then everyone once in awhile something new comes along that has the ability to take one's senses by storm.

Los Angeles based Voice of Dissent is a new metal project with strong blend of classic, speed and thrash influences. Subverses (Book One), their first album, is one of those projects that makes up for any lull in the need for new crushing metal releases as of late. Due to be released on June 21, 2012 on Distracked Media; Subverses (Book One) is worth checking out by anyone loves metal as much as they think they do.

Voice of Dissent's brainchild, Rodney McGlothlin, put this project together pretty much all on his own.

"I did write and record all of Subverses on my own. I began writing some of the songs while still in my last band. We really weren't seeing eye to eye on the direction the music was going, or how the band should be presented in general. I really feel like metal has gotten kind of stale and repetitive recently, and I wanted the music to take some chances. I thought we should try new ideas in everything from the production, to the songwriting, to how the music was presented to fans."

"I met a lot of resistance," explains McGlothlin, "Partly from not agreeing on direction, and partly because innovation takes more time and work and some people just aren't willing to man up for it. So after deciding to leave, I briefly considered a new band, but decided it would be best to just do it all myself, get it done, and then find the like minded musicians who could hear it and know it is what they want to do right away."


- Read the full interview at UnRatedMagazine.com | UnRatedMetal.com

No comments