Header Ads

Yeasayer and Broken Social Scene Perform at The Metro In Chicago


by Robert Pyon
There was a hum of anticipation outside The Metro as fans began forming a line to see Canadian supergroup, Broken Social Scene -- BSS for short. Although the doors opened around 10 pm, no one got through the doors until a little after 11 pm, supposedly because of soundcheck problems. I was so pumped about seeing BSS live that I didn't notice two of its core members, Brendan Canning and Kevin Drew, hanging around outside The Metro shooting the breeze with fans. That was an unexpected, but nice surprise since I had come to think of BSS as high-flying baroque rockstars of the North.

Once inside The Metro, I made a beeline for the auditorium so I could get as close to the stage as possible. Brooklyn, NY's Yeasayer opened the show. I had heard of them before, but hadn't had a chance to listen to their debut album, All Hour Cymbals. Seeing them live was the best introduction I could possibly dream of. Their music is part gospel, part blues, part primordial drumbeats, part sounds from the netherworld. These seemingly disparate parts came together beautifully during their live set, compelling the crowd to jump, sway, and pump their hands in the air, however the spirit of the music moved them.

Read the full review at UnRatedMagazine.com

No comments