Header Ads

xXx: State of the Union (2005)

Also known as xXx: The Next Level

XXX - State of the Union (2005)Columbia Tristar, Revolution Studios
Theatrical Release Date: April 29, 2005 (USA)
DVD Release Date: July 26, 2005
Director: Lee Tamahori
Rated PG-13

Review by Adam Bielawski

Ice Cube plays the role of Darius Stone, the new XXX, who Agent Augustus Gibbons (Samuel Jackson) breaks out of military jail. Beside this line, there is nothing else favorable I can say about this waste of money at Blockbuster rental.

However, I must go on, XXX - State of the Union has to be the worst trash I have seen this year. All I can say good about this flick is thank God I did not pay to see it at the theater, I would have been pissed if I paid almost $10, but I did rent it and that ran me almost $5. What a waste! Ice Cube career right now is on a high plateau as an actor. This venture into an action movie he should have passed on, the story sucked, the stunts were trash and if there was a budget for a movie it should have been invested elsewhere, and maybe it was. Sam Jackson, what were you thinking, XXX was a blockbuster, in my mind. I had purchased XXX, (2002 release with Vin Diesel) the movie, rented the movie from Blockbuster and Netflicks, and caught it at the show 2 times. All I can say what the hell happened here? I had hopes that XXX would be the next American Extreme super spy, to run with the likes of the James Bond series as the extreme. XXX - State of the Union, is not it!  xXx is nothing but a disappointment. I don't know how, if any attempt to redeem this series will exist. We must look for our next great American super spy. Till then, we still have James Bond and over 40 years which has not been a disappointment.

Now let me try to remember this story, my first problem with this movie was right at the beginning with the use of the term, "College Boy." This really puzzled me because Darius Stone (Ice Cube) was a Navy Lieutenant and part of the Seal team. As an veteran, I always thought to be an officer you had to have a college degree (in most cases). I could be wrong, but weren't the last honorary promotions from enlisted to line officers in Vietnam. So my thought is why would he tease the "College Boy" since he is one as well. I guess I must be  wrong and one can be a officer without college. The next thing that bothered the hell out of me in this movie, the role played by Xzibit and his band of chop shop mechanics, that they had special forces training? It's possible, that the character portrayed by Xzibit could have had military training or natural abilities, but not the whole damn crew at the chop shop. These guys would have been dead meat before they got out of the garage. Who in their right mind thinks they can take out the greatest military force in the world without any training, riding in street made cars, as well as weapons off the shelf. Research, Research, Research! Learn your military tactics on how training is conducted in the military.  Dear screenwriter a little time spent on research goes a long way, I am sure you heard of the Internet.

The unreality was just too much in this movie for me to bear, one scene after the other, only an idiot would believe this could have been a plan with any final success, but death and jail for this band of XXX cronies. I had to fight to keep watching this trash of a film, also I was bummed xXx 2 destroyed all the fame xXx the original made. In my life I always give a little faith to sequels, because at times they turn out ok. James Bond is still here and not going away, so who is to blame in kikking the xXx series.

Some good points from this movie, the box cover looks great for a dud, the movie trailer looked pretty good. So I give credit to the team of marketers who put this movie on the shelf, they are the Oscar winners. Cause they sold this trash to me.

Quick Line: If you think a bunch of gangsta chop shop extremist can take on the US highly trained forces, you are the perfect dumb ass that will like this movie.

No comments