Header Ads

Kathleen Madigan At California Center for the Arts Concert Hall - Escondido, CA

Kathleen Madigan

At California Center for the Arts Concert Hall

Escondido, CA

March 6, 2015


By Cynthia Duke

A while back I was searching Netflix for female comedians to watch and came across Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again. I watched and thought she was one of the funniest comedians I’ve ever seen. No wonder Jay Leno said she was, “One of the funniest female comics”. I say, “Of any comic”. I waited for more. Sometime later I saw she was coming to San Diego. Escondido, to be exact and knew I had to get into that show and see her live.

Although the show was called Madigan Again like on Netflix, it was full of new material that had me cracking up to no end. But first…

I brought my mother with me and dropped her off at the front and parked the car. As I walked through the beautiful campus for the Arts Center I was hit with amazingly fragrant gardenias. Mom sat and waited for me on an oversized park bench that had even the men’s feet dangling and everybody was swinging their feet like back and forth little kids.

Upon entering the building we were greeted by a cheerful ticket attendant and told that we can’t take our drinks to our seat unless we purchase a sippy cup…for $15. What are we, 5? You’re really calling it a sippy cup? We had a drink in the lobby it goes to say.

The 1,523 seat concert hall, was grandiose and beautiful, full of balconies. If you live in the San Diego area, I would recommend looking up some shows at this venue.

We waited in anticipation for the show to start and first up was Kathleen’s friend, Chuck Martin, who is a comedian, director, writer and producer, the latter three he did on Arrested Development for which he and the writing staff won an Emmy.

Chuck covered many topics ranging from texting to Facebook to what the city of Escondido sounds like to him and nailed every one. He was hilarious. He was like a comedy tornado that you had to keep up with or you might miss something. He had the audience primed and ready.

Kathleen was next and I gotta say, yes, she really is that funny. You really feel like you are sitting around somewhere hanging out with her listening to her talk to you. I got so caught up in it that I actually answered in a low voice, “Uh huh”. That, in itself made me laugh. I totally get her thinking, having lived in the Midwest, for 20 years and also grew up in the suburbs of L.A. where she now resides. I will state it here and now, she is definitely my favorite comedian.

Some of the topics Kathleen covered were the timely Bill Cosby news, her obsession of the disappearance of Malaysia flight 370, growing up without seatbelts, the Pope, vegans and vegetarians, drunk drivers, jail, chain smoking in the car, the joy of putting in child car seats and her marble mouthed in-law to name a few.

I can’t say enough about the hilarity of Kathleen but, her 25 year plus career definitely shows a seasoned chuckle factory of pure entertainment. Go and see her when she comes through your town. - Read the full story at UnRatedMagazine.com

No comments